Europort, Port of Rotterdam Harbour
Installation had to mesh with the facility’s complex logistics in which shipping activities took precedence in a terminal operating 24/7/52. Working on sections of quay as they became available depended upon close co-operation with the container operator’s planning department. Separating production and installation was a key to meeting deadlines. OSA mattresses – pre-fabricated on pontoons at a nearby harbour – were ready for the next installation opportunity.
- Specialist mix designs and quality control ensured by pre-contract research and laboratory trials
- 110 mattresses (20.5×11.4×0.2m) x 92 tonnes
- Installation at 16m depth using a special lifting frame, assisted by divers
- Continuity of protection ensured by sealing gaps (mattress/quay and mattress/mattress) with asphaltic mastic
- The robust, bound scour protection leaves a regular surface which is easily maintained (dredged when necessary).
- Flexible material follows any settlement and allows a secure tie-in with outer rock layer.
- Project completed on time and on budget – 22 weeks on site.