This 1986 Phase 2 contract awarded by Great Yarmouth Borough Council – Hesselberg Hydro’s first major project in the UK – followed earlier work by our Dutch counterpart, Bitumarin bv. in 1978.
The existing seawall was beyond its serviceable life, leaving properties at ever greater risk from flooding. Generally, phase 1 works had performed well, so the construction was extended along the beach.
- 300mm OSA main revetment placed on 150mm LSA filter layer
- Solid LSA key at toe increased stability of slope
- Toe protected with either a mastic asphalt slab or grouted stone, or a combination
- Asphaltic concrete promenade installed on crest
- Short revetment of OSA on geotextile protected dunes behind from erosion by wave run-up
- On site mixing of materials
To date the revetment is performing well.